A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cabinet Clutter

When Jake and I moved into our current duplex, we were missing some things in the house )i.e. counter space in the kitchen, but we won't go there). Among these was a pantry. Luckily, my parents were generous enough to purchase some "pantry" cabinets from Ikea. They're actually just bookshelves, and we added doors to them. They work, and we couldn't be happier with them. There's just one problem...they were a mess.

Last night while trying to find a good marinade/rub for the salmon that was defrosting for dinner, I got mucho frustrated and decided "that's it, the pantry is getting a makeover". My one pet peeve in the pantry was the spice shelf. I love cooking, and I love spices and cooking with them. I would find it very frustrating to be looking for simple things like lemon juice, or dill and not being able to find it on the correct shelf. I'm also an avid baker so of course, I have a cake decorating set and sprinkles for cakes and cupcakes. We have a big pantry, and a small one. The big pantry is twice the width of the "small" one. The bigger one houses our everyday things like cereal, crackers, pasta, canned goods, etc. The smaller one is home to more of my stuff: cake mixes, sprinkles, spices, pancake/waffle mixes, etc. The smaller one is the one I like to visit the most, so that was first.

Before:

After:



Now for the "main" part of the pantry.



Before:



After:




OK, granted the main pantry wasn't that unorganized, but it needed a little facelift. I was so proud of myself when I was done. I know I know...a small accomplishment. But would it be better to say I did it entirely in about 15-20 minutes? :)

No comments: