A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wisdom teeth...the countdown begins!

Yesterday I went for my consultation to have my wisdom teeth removed. I've heard some pretty bad horror stories of wisdom teeth extraction, so I'm REALLY nervous.

I went in and filled out a survey of my health history. Then I was taken into the office and had a complete x-ray taken of my entire mouth. When that was done, they were waiting for an exam room, so they took me into the "recovery room" and made me watch a DVD on how to understand the wisdom teeth, and how the surgery will go. After that, I was lead into the "exam room" they had left which was the actual surgery room. Oh. My. God. I got to sit in the scariest exam chair ever. It was like a hybrid...half dentist chair, half gurney. I was fully expecting to see those straps they bind your hands and feet with at the loony bin, ya know? Then I met my surgeon...Dr. Doucet. Very nice man...big bluish green eyes. Definitely the type I can see ripping my teeth out of my mouth as a hobby. Just kidding.

We went over my x-rays and I found that even though I was lead to believe all my wisdom teeth were "severely" impacted, that wasn't the case. The two top teeth were fully exposed and had grown through nicely, which will make for easy extraction with no incisions. It will be like taking a regular tooth out...just WAY back in my mouth. Whew... The bottom two were a slightly different story. The lower left is impacted and growing forward towards my chin, but the side is peeking out the top of the gums, which will make it easier and a small incision will be needed. The right bottome however, is completely impacted, with a small amount peeking through, but the tooth itself is growing towards my cheek...so sideways, and out. Wierd. Nothing can ever be easy with me...no...that would be too...well...easy. I discussed my anethesia options, and given that I've never had surgery before, never broken a bone, never been in a hospital, I've got some anxiety about the whole thing. He suggested full sedation for me. He said the whole process will take about 30-40 minutes and I'll feel like it was 2 minutes.

I'm going to follow the doctor's instructions perfectly because my biggest fear is getting a dry socket. I don't think I could handle that. Once I'm done with this surgery, I want to be DONE...D-O-N-E. My surgery is scheduled for Friday September 18th. So...now it's 17 days and counting...anyone have any valium? :)

1 comment:

SamanthaDavidson said...

Good girl - go for full sedation! I did and it felt like no time at all. One piece of advice - afterward, since you can only have soft food for a while - don't be tempted to use a straw! No one told me that, so I tried a smoothie for some nourishment. Well, all that sucking on the straw made the incisions keep bleeding rather than clotting! Not fun! So, stick to a spoon or regular drinking and you should be fine!