A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Garlic Lemon Shrimp and Orzo with Broccoli

I know I haven't posted a recipe in a while, my apologies. Last night, Jake and I decided to try something new to add variety to our weekly menus. I came across the following recipe from a blog I follow, Cooking This and That. Jake and I found it to be satisfying (not filling) and light enough to not feel bogged down by heavy ingredients.

Enjoy!


Garlic Lemon Shrimp and Orzo with Broccoli
slightly adapted from Dinners for a Year and Beyond
Makes 2-3 servings

1 cup orzo

1 broccoli crown, cut into bite-sized pieces

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 medium onion, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 lemon, juiced and zested

1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth

kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste

scant tablespoon butter

about 1 pound of large shrimp, peeled and deveined

2-3 tablespoons parsley, chopped

1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated


Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, add orzo and cook until al dente, 8-9 minutes.


During last 2 minutes of cooking, add broccoli to the pasta water. Drain orzo and broccoli, set aside.


In large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.Add lemon juice, zest, and wine/broth to saute pan. Bring to boil and then reduce heat; simmer for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in butter and stir until melted.


Add shrimp to saute pan, cook until pink and cooked through, 4-5 minutes. Add orzo and broccoli, parsley, and Parmesan cheese to shrimp mixture; toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Megan :) said...

OMG...this sounds amazing! I just wish Jon would eat fish. He'll eat seasoned and marinated Salmon, but I don't think I could get him to eat shrimp. :( Jalen and I would tear up some shrimp though. ;) I might just have to give this one a try??
XOXOXO