A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Adding to the list...

Last night was horrible for me. I woke up at 11pm in excruciating pain in my right hip/knee/leg. No matter how I laid down, sat up or tried to stand, the pain wouldn't go away. Of course on top of me being really tired, I wasn't having it. I'm on the Clomid again, so the hormones were a ragin'. Pile this all together, and that makes a very frustrated, tired and fed up LoLo. Jake was so concerned, he called Kaiser to see if I needed to go into the ER. I was in so much pain I could barely talk I was crying so hard. I ranked the pain at an 8 out of 10, which I've never graded pain that high. Usually when there's pain, it's a 4, maybe a 5 at times. I decided to try and stick it out for the night and go into my PCP's office this morning. Upon examination, he said my left leg has perfect mobility (or motility, I forget which word they use). He noticed that my hip joint isn't too bad, but it's not as mobile as the other.

As I was laying on my back on the exam table, he lifted my legs straight up to see how far towards my body they would stretch. My right leg has pretty much no flexibility compared to my left. I believe my left leg went to a complete 90 degree angle, and my right went up to maybe a 40 degree angle. He checked out the Sciatica and we discussed treatment. I expressed that I'm considering acupuncture (for those that know me well and my aversion to needles...this is HUGE for me to go willingly into needle territory...even if they are tiny). He checked out where the main pain is underneath my knee on the side of my calf. The result? I am diagnosed with Bursitis in my right thigh and knee.

I've been given a prescription of Vicodin, which I'm only using pain killers at night to help me sleep. He also said to use ice packs when resting (watching TV on the couch, laying in bed before sleep, etc.) I'm also going into Physical Therapy next week. I'm also taking a "Back and Pain Maintenance" class in November at the hospital.

I'm just glad I have a diagnosis and a plan of action. He also mentioned he is very impressed with my weight loss (he's also the one monitoring my pre-diabetes). He said with more weight loss, the Sciatica may cease with the decreased pressure the weight puts on it.

I have lost a total of about 8lbs. so far. I'm shooting to lose 15 pounds total by Christmas at the latest.

No comments: