A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Catching Up

Wow...a  lot has happened since I last wrote.

Scarlett had her 2nd Easter and we spent it with Jake's grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We played at a playground and did a small Easter egg hunt. All of the eggs were filled with change that promptly went into Scarlett's piggy bank when we got home.



For a few years, I had been contemplating getting purple highlights in my hair, and was always scared to do it. I met a wonderful and offbeat hairdresser named Betty who owns a salon in Berkeley. She became a client of ours and has done my sister in law's hair for a while. For those who don't know, my sister in law's hair is fire-engine-red with black bangs and it's cut really short and spiky. I figured if she could sport the red rocker hair, I could surely handle a few purple streaks.

Nervously I walked into Betty's salon and 2 hours later, walked out with purple highlights (the color she used is called "Pimpin' Purple") and a haircut with off-the-side bangs. I'd been wanting to get my hair restyled since November when the lady I went to didn't really listen to what I had asked for. Please excuse the poor quality of the picture. It was taken with my phone, the highlights look darker than they actually are and my hair was a little wind-whipped afterwards.



Well, I had Mother's Day #2. I was treated to a shopping day at the Le Creuset outlet in Gilroy and I didn't go too crazy, but having such beautiful pieces to make meals for my family is quite lovely. I love cooking, and even fantasized about going to culinary school for a time until I found out how much it would cost to go and how competitive the market is for chefs...not really for me. So I always look into cooking classes and new techniques for preparing meals. I'm not a gourmet by any means, but I thoroughly enjoy cooking. 

Mother's Day we had a low key BBQ for my mom's side of the family which is a yearly tradition. We were supposed to host last year, but Scarlett decided to make her appearance and we were unable to put the party on, but this year we did it. Everything was great - great weather, great food, great company. There was a small snafu with my Dad almost falling down our back steps and really hurting his arm with a skin tear, but I snapped into "mommy" mode and cleaned and bandaged him up. His arm is fine.

The Friday night prior to Mother's Day, Scarlett decided to try some acrobatics off her changing pad on her dresser and got a hairline fracture in her left wrist. It looked a lot worse than it actually was, and she had to wear a bright pink cast for 2 weeks. I think it hurt Jake more than the baby because he was changing her diaper when she rolled over. She's pretty darn cute though, even with a cast on:



May 19, Jake and I celebrated our 5-year anniversary with a trip to Disneyland. I'll tell the details of that in another post. :)




No comments: