A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

30 Before 30 - Go karting with Jake

Growing up, my uncle Fred (or Ferd, as the family endearingly calls him) used to race go karts. Every time we'd go to his house, I'd see his go karts in the garage and wonder what it would be like to race them.

So when I compiled what I wanted to do and experience for my 30 Before 30 list, I KNEW one of the experiences I wanted to have was go-karting. For Jake's bachelor party, his friends took him to a local karting place so I already knew there was a place around that I could go too. When it came to decide what we were going to do for Father's Day, I knew he'd enjoy go-karting. Hey, Father's Day and 30 Before 30 in one - two birds with one stone!

So we went this past Saturday and of course there was a nasty heat wave in our part of the Bay Area. It was 90 degrees inside the track and even hotter outside. I got the "Triple Play" which is three races, but you are racing just to see what your best time is. I knew no matter what I'd be pretty slow since I like to be surefooted, especially when the only thing separating me and certain death is a helmet and neckguard. But all in all, it was a blast. I would go again, but next time we're waiting until it's cooler and I'm well hydrated. Between the hairpin turns and the heat for 30 minutes straight, I was feeling a little woozy when we were done.

Me in all my Large-sized-helmet glory!



Jake with his helmet



No comments: