A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Now that the election is over...

I will state, with immense pride, that I voted for Barack Obama.

The reason why I haven't stated this before is because when I have stated it, I've been attacked verbally by those who disagree. But let me say why I voted for him.

When I was younger, I was so upset that Bush, Sr. lost the election to Clinton that I sent him a letter with stickers to try and make him feel better. I've never been one for change. Of course, as I grew older I realized how issues we face in this country effect me as well...as a person and as a citizen. I have been registered as "Non-Partisan". I vote for whoever I feel will do the best job, be it Republican or Democrat. I understand that the position of president is not an easy one. You literally have the weight of the world on your shoulders.

However, I believe at one point, Bush sort of abandoned this country. His hell-bent paths of trying to find Saddam Hussein, al Qaida and Osama bin Laden left our country vulnerable. Gas prices skyrocketed to the highest they've ever been in history. Our economy has sunk deeper and deeper into a hole than never seemed to end. It's been a scary 8 years to me, and I believe Obama has his work cut out for him.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have been totally devastated if McCain had won. However, I know the American people spoke, and the spoke loudly! They believe the Republican party has had the chance to change this country, and it obviously didn't work. Let's try something else, something new, something historic. This country has been plagued by racism and inequality since it's beginning and I believe we, as a people, have overlooked our differences and accepted such a change from our "norm". We have elected the first African American president in US History.

I for one am proud to be an American today. As I see the numbers of voters, I am glad and proud that I live in a country where masses and lines of people wait for hours to have their voices be heard. What other country has that?

I believe Obama has the vision, fortitude and opportunity to change this country for the better. I believe he has realistic goals for this country and realistic avenues in which to do them. I believe he has the drive to fix problems we have had in the past decade and build our country to a new glory, a country we ALL can be proud of. Of course, I know he is not without faults...and as he is human, he is bound to make mistakes. We all do. But I do believe I was right in putting my faith, and vote in Barack Obama.

McCain is a good sport and was extremely classy in his speech. I respect him, and I know it's a tough loss to bear. However, I know we shouldn't, as a country, look back on what could've been. But rather we should look to what will be.

Congratulations to Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States!

6 comments:

Megan :) said...

"In America anything is possible.
" - Barack Obama

True. In America anything is possible--even homosexual marriage, abortion of innocent lives, teen girls receiving abortions without parental notification, yet they can't get asprin from the school nurse.


Obama is right. In America anything is possible, but are these the possibilities we want. And are his changes going to be the ones we want? I believe he will bring change. I'm just not so sure this is the change we want to see.

LoLo Smith said...

True, but this is a new day dawning for this country. I"m excited to see the changes, whatever they may be, that Obama will bring. I mean at this point, this country has no where to go but up.

Amy said...

Yes, in America people can be treated equal and have the right to marry the person they love, women can have the choice to decide what is best for themselves, and young women can have that same right. It's about equality, not one group making the rules.

Megan :) said...

Treated equal...who defines what that means? Should we treat murders, rapist's, and those who molest children as equal to those who are law abiding productive individuals of scociety?!

I have 10+ years in the medical feild...an embryo's heart starts beating by week 5 of the pregnancy...5-6 weeks along (the week or two after she misses her period) is when a woman finds out she is pregnant...what about the "rights" of that LIVING person?!?
What happens when the abortion isn't fully successful? Good question...you have an ALIVE baby (heart is still beating) that has been torn apart limb by limb! Then what happens? Glad you asked...they put a bag over the baby's head and suffocate it! Sounds more like murder than just "a choice" to me.

Marriage is an institution created by God founded in the Bible...Genesis...when he created Adam & Eve...Man & Woman. Those who wish to defy God and the natural law of nature have every right here in America to do so, but not to redefine what has already been established. Every "choice" a person makes has consequences. A person is still free to live a homosexual lifestyle, but they must also ACCEPT the consequences of that choice.

"One group making the rules" is called an ELECTION! All who voted yesterday, I'm assuming you are one of them, are a part of this "one group making the rules" you talk down about!! Because someone makes a "choice" (and they do still have a "right" to make their own choices)to do or live a certian way does NOT make it right!

Besides the above mentioned, Obama has little experience and his speeches are incongruent with each other...he says one thing will be this way, then in a later speech he changes the specifics of his "plan". Does he really have a plan, and if so what is it really?? He plans to "Change" America. Okay, change what...and how?? He may be a great motivational speaker (as evidenced by the election results), but I question his tactics and abilities. Where are all the critical thinkers in America these days?? Think about it, don't just feel it!!

Stefanie K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stefanie K. said...

Sorry, Lolo...I changed my mind 'bout my last comment. Ha. Anyway, obviously I coooooooooooooompleeeeeeetely disagree with your friend. I'll leave it at that.