A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Friday, August 29, 2008

Myriad of Salads

I've been pushing my luck too long.


I admit, I've never had the healthiest eating habits. My weakness (surprise surprise) is a burger and fries. Of course, I also love fresh veggies, and fruit. But that sort of stuff, I have to be in the mood for it. Well, now is the time where LoLo must condition herself to not eat junk, and start eating the way she should've always been eating.


I also have a problem recognizing correct portions. My big thing is learning portion control. One reason I eat so fast and so much is because I would not eat until I was STARVING and then eat and eat and eat. Apparently, that's not the way to do it.


When I had my doctor's appointment the other day, she mentioned that I had a blood test coming up from my PCP for glucose levels suring fasting since I've been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. With that said, she also mentioned that if I were to test as full blown diabetic, I can't take the medication she prescribed...oh hell no!!! This is when the alarm goes off and someone pops up and does the V8 commercial "BONK" on my forehead.


So, I decided to do something about my conditions. It seems that losing weight will not only make for a healthier life, but also easier to get pregnant, and carry the child. Also, the PCOS and pre-diabetes will go down or away completely and also the Sciatica will go away too. So instead of being one of those pregnant women who can hardly move, I elect the alternative. I've been eating WAY more veggies, drinking a lot of water, and walking to work two days a week (hey with the Sciatica, I'm taking it slowly). Even in the few days I've been doing this, along with taking a daily vitamin, I feel great! Just the walking to work gets me out in the fresh air and I love this time when it's the end of Summer and almost transitioning into Fall. The sun is giving it's last hot days and the evenings are warm...it's the best.


I've also been checking out different salads as I've never really paid attention before. I've discovered good ones all around! During these hot days, the last thing I need is to be weighed down by "bad" food. A nice, fresh, cool salad seems to be hitting the spot. Of course I know there will be times when I'm going to have to give in a little to keep my will power going, but I don't mind that. Here are a few I'd like to try to make:





Strawberry and Almond Spinach Salad

Cranberry-Pear Tossed Salad


Can you tell I like salads with fruit....and cheese?

2 comments:

Ariella said...

Here are a few you might like:

Goat cheese, pear, Spinach, baby greens and Raspberry vinaigrette

Blue cheese crumbles, tomato (heirloom), dried cranberries, with either spinach or dark greens and blue cheese dressing

My "simple salad" because I can find the ingredients all year long: cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, green onion, and lettuce.

Good for you for doing something healthy for you.

Megan :) said...

Way cool that you are working on a healthier you!! Salads...I love 'em, but Jon doesn't like them. :( Mr. Health doesn't like salad...go figure. My favorite is Spinach with some tomato (either cut up or cherry), light onion, shredded cheese of choice (usually Kraft Mexican Blend out of the bag, but there are lots of choices out there...cheese is yummie), sprinkle of raisons, and a sprinkle of shelled sunflower seeds with dressing of choice (light Ranch, Ceasar, Basal and Romano, Italian, or perhaps a Vinaigrette)...sometimes I'll throw in some carrots or broccoli. I know it sounds weird, but it's good. If you want to encorporate protien you can add some hard boiled egg or peices of chicken. The best thing about salads is that you can throw whatever you want in there!

Don't forget about your friend fiber along the health road... it helps with feeling full...just remember to get plenty of water...water is crucial otherwise you will have potty issues. hehehe.

Oh...and a pretty yummie substitute for hamberger is ground Turkey. When a recipe calls for ground hamburger, then substitute with the turkey and you won't even miss the hamburger.

Don't get me wrong...I'm ALL for red meat, but hamburger is the worst. Like you said...you have to have one now and again to keep from derailing on the train of health!! I'm with ya there. :) I've found that roasts and steaks are a healthier way to eat red meat. Plus with roasts you will have left overs....I like not having to cook EVERY night! :)

Love you Lo-Lo!!