A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Epidural #2 - Success

Yesterday I had epidural injection #2.

Things were WAY different for me this time. I knew what to expect, took deep breaths and knew it would be over in 10 minutes.

I walked in after my name was called and the nurse looked at me and said "How are you today?" I said "Fine, thanks. How are you?" She said "I'm good...hey...I remember you. I was your nurse last time you had this done." Greeeeeat. I remember psyching myself out to the point of (TMI) dry heaving, cold sweats, and dizziness. I was hoping I was calm enough now to not have a repeat performance of a crap-tastic procedure on my part. No thanks. So she took my blood pressure (BP) and led me to the room with Jake because we had some questions regarding the breakout of red bumps from last time. She said the epidurals sometimes raise hormone levels so it could've been a mild form of acne, which is WAY better than hearing "Oh, you're allergic. We can't do this...go home and live in pain". In this case, acne is WAY better. So I did was helped last time. The nurse was there talking to me, I had a cold compress and breathed deeply to calm my nerves and relax my muscles. I learned the breathing from my tattoos which helps this kind of thing be less painful since the more you hold your breath, the more your muscles tense and then the more it hurts because your body is fighting.

So I was talking to the nurse while the doctor "mapped" out my spine and nerves by drawing on me with a ballpoint pen (which really really really tickled) and then I had the local anesthesia. No big deal...just a little pinch. Then...there was pressure. A lot. of. pressure. Pressure in a small tiny area. Didn't feel normal, so I of course let them know I could feel it. They said everything was OK and I was doing great. Then more pressure...and more pressure. I was gripping the exam table like I was being pushed into it. Oh. My. God...pressure! But of course, within 5 minutes...it was over. I sat for a minute with a cold compress on the back of my neck to help me stop sweating and the doctor asked the nurse to take my BP again since she thought it was a little high. Yeah...high. 176/103 to be exact. Normal for me? Not at all. So on the way out, I sat and had my BP taken again... 104/73. Much better. I was nervous so the BP showed it.

Then I went home, changes into my PJs, laid on my bed with a movie playing and all three cats laid with me. Jake made dinner, which was awesome and Today while walking to work I felt great. I'm a little sore at the injection sight but that's no biggie. I'm just glad it's over. Yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can totally imagine being drawn on with a ballpoint pin on my back being ticklish! I hope you didn't laugh toooo much :)

I'm glad it went well, I've been thinking about you.