A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Friday, February 24, 2012

Caramelized Onion and Gorgonzola Pizza

It's my first recipe in a looooong time, so I figured I'd try something outside my comfy box and give this one a whirl.



I love caramelized onions. There is something so...I don't know...sinful (?) about caramelized onions. It's part veggie, part candy. It's amazing to me with a little heat and some patience, the dreaded plant that makes my eyes water no matter what I do to avoid that happening while cutting it turns into something so yummy! I also love gorgonzola. It's the #2 after Bleu Cheese and before Feta. I used to HATE Bleu Cheese when I was little, but of course as I grew, so did my taste buds. So to think both of them on a pizza??? GENIUS!!! I will admit I didn't make enough onions to cover the pizza as much as I wanted too, so I'd recommend adding more onion (you can use your discretion). I also couldn't find Vidalia onions, which I'm SURE would've made this pizza's yummy-factor to be upgraded to the umpteenth degree, but such is the shopping options at my local Safeway. I used regular sweet yellow onions, which were yummy nonetheless. Next time I find some Vidalia onions (Farmers Market trip!), I'm grabbing some and making this pizza again.


Enjoy!




Caramelized Onion and Gorgonzola Pizza

Recipe by Julie of allrecipes.com

Photo by allrecipes


Prep time: 15 min, Cook time: 40 min, TOTAL: 55 min

Recipe yields 12 servings


1/8 cup butter

2 large Vidalia onions, thinly sliced

2 teaspoons sugar

1 (10 oz) package refridgerated pizza dough (you can also make your own if you like)

80z Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (the original recipe calls for 1lb, but that seems extreme for me, but again, do what you like)




1. In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onions in the butter until the onions are soft and dark brown, approximately 25 minutes. Stir in sugar and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.


2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.


3. Grease pizza pan or cookie sheet, and press out the dough to desired thickness. Spread onions evenly over the dough, and top with the crumbled Gorgonzola cheese.


4. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until done.




No comments: