A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Another brick on the pile

So...here's the latest dish from our infertility journey. (this might be TMI, but I have to explain it).

Jake and I were watching and waiting to have an IUI on CD (cycle day) 17, which would've been Apr. 27th, but I ovulated on CD 20, April 30th. I thought maybe I would have a 35 days cycle, which would give me a 14-day luteal phase (after ovulation), but I ended up getting AF (aunt flo) on Tuesday, meaning I had a shorter luteal phase, 11 days.

If you're keeping up, that's awesome. I hope my previous post with all the acronyms is helping.

I found the way my cycle happened to be a bit odd, so I called my OBGYN with my concerns, and to refill my prescription of Clomid for this cycle. She called me today and said this:

#1 - My blood sugar levels bother her a lot. She's surprised I haven't been put on some sort of diabetic medication, such as Metformin. It's common for ladies with PCOS to have insulin resistance (a form of diabetes), which is what she's guessed I have. I have to go in on Saturday to have another blood fasting test to check my glucose levels. If they're too high, she's going to request that I be put on Metformin from my PCP (primary care physician).

#2 - Given that my luteal phase was not the normal 12-14 days it should've been, she wants me to come in and have an Endometrial Biopsy. What will happen is after I ovulate, and after my BBT rises for the luteal phase, they will go in and take a sample of my uterine lining to make sure all the hormone levels are where they're supposed to be given I'm on medication.

The word "biopsy", in my mind, isn't associated with "just checking stuff", so I'm a little nervous. Any time I've heard of someone having a biopsy, it's to check and see if they have cancer.

Any prayers, dust, thoughts and good vibes anyone can spare would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I love you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOTS of dust!
I've been surprised you are not on Met also, as I have only encountered very few women with PCOS who don't take it. I do-it's awful, but it helps.

BTW, I sent you a PM on the nest ages ago. I don't think you ever got it...

I'll be thinking of you.