A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Life-Long goal is met

Ever since I was a little girl, my mom and grandma have told me that my grandfather was one of the first people to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge in SF. I never actually saw the bridge in person until I was a Sophomore in high school. I've always made a goal of walking across the bridge...just once. Just once would make me happy. It's such a beautiful bridge in such a beautiful place.

On our way home from Santa Rosa and the wedding weekend, Jake said randomly "You wanna stop at the Golden Gate Bridge?"At first I thought he was joking, then later he asked again. So I said, sure. With some maneuvering and yelling at the Garmin because JAKE got us lost at some random Naval Base, we made it to Vista Point on the Sausalito side of the bridge. We got out and started walking...and we walked...and walked...and walked. With my Sciatica, I decided to take it slow. Surprisingly, I didn't have as tough a time as I thought I would.

So we got to the SF side, and sat for a hot chocolate and to cool our heels. Then we stopped in the Golden Gate Giftshop (you know me) and Jake got me a t-shirt that says "I WALKED THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE"...it's pretty cool. It's a good sleep shirt. Then we walked back. Here are some pictures of our trek.
About half-way, I realized I was walking the same path as my grandfather. It was amazing to realize that I was walking across a piece of US History.
Along the way, we noticed A LOT of tourists from different countries. We heard German, Japanese, Vietnamese, French, and a guy with a thick Scottish Brogue. It was pretty cool.


View of SF from Vista Point, Sausalito



It's pretty intimidating...


Jake at the first "Gate" on the Sausalito side


Me too...


Spread out along the bridge are these yellow boxes with phones inside. The phones are for people looking to jump off the bridge and the phones are directly connected to a Crisis/Counseling Hotline.
This is what someone wrote on one. I find it kind of morbid, but a little funny.

The half-way point to SF.

About to head back from SF to our car on the other side of the bridge

From the toll gate-side park.

1 comment:

Megan :) said...

Holy cow...how long of a walk is it? You go girl!! I didn't even know you could walk across it...that is way cool. :) Oh, and I stil LOVE the hair...you look great!!