A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Soup

I know it's been FOREVER since I last posted a recipe, but I HAVE to share this one. I wasn't aware until recently that Chili's (the restaurant) had something called Chicken Enchilada Soup, and it happens to be a major favorite for Jake. So I wanted to try my hand at it and it is OH MY YUMMM!!!!!!!!!!! I made it last night for dinner and Jake said and I quote "You can make this again any time you want".

Chicken Enchilada Soup (by KMHIX of allrecipes.com)
Photo by Pamela D. of allrecipes.com
Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 50 min = TOTAL: 1 hour
8 servings


1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
1 cup harina para masa (Mexican corn flour for making tortillas)
3 cups water, divided
1 cup enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin


1. In large pot over medium heat, cook chicken breasts in oil until well browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.

2. Cook onion and garlic in remaining oil until onions are translucent. Pour in chicken broth.

3. In a bowl, whisk together harina para masa and 2 cups of the water until well blended (I found that mixing the harina para masa slowly by 2 tbsp at a time in warm water keeps it from getting grainy). Pour into pot with remaining 1 cup water, enchilada sauce, cheese, salt, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil.

4. Shred cooked chicken and add to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes, until thickened.

We topped our soup with sour cream and more shredded cheese on top and had it with tortilla chips. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Cara said...

I LOVVVE chili's chicken enchilada soup, it's so so so tasty ! I will try this recipe to get it at home ;)