A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

IF and the 5 stages of grief

I've been reading up quite a bit about the 5 stages of grief. Some call it valid, some call it psycho-babble. Being the wife of a future psychologist doesn't make me biased, but I am more aware of the stages. Jake and I have talked about it from time to time and I believe I'm going through the five stages of grief in relation to my infertility.

Stage 1 - DENIAL: I admit in the beginning of all this, I wasn't so much in complete denial that I had a problem, but I did have those "I'll never get to that point" moments. I never believed in a million years I'd be on the cusp of injectables, and then IVF.

Stage 2 - ANGER: I admit I still have a toe in this stage. I'm still a bit angry, but I don't know how to not be. It's frustrating, it's enough to pull your hair out. To hear month after month that you didn't ovulate, or didn't get pregnant while seemingly EVERYONE around you gets pregnant is enough for one to want to jump in front of a high speed train. Believe me, I've considered it.

Stage 3 - BARGAINING: I hit this stage a while back. I kept saying to myself "I'll keep going until the end if..." It's bargaining with yourself that if you keep going, things will change. When they don't, it's even more bargaining. It's not the best stage, but it kept me going.

Stage 4 - DEPRESSION: I've most recently hit this stage in the past 6 months to a year. I've been asking myself "Why keep doing this to myself? It's only hurting more and more the time goes by", asking "what's the point, this won't happen for me", and more notably "I guess I'm just not meant to be a mother". It's the toughest stage, let me tell you. All the insecurities and self-doubt come rushing forth like an angry river.

Stage 5 - ACCEPTANCE: I think I might have been "testing the waters" with this stage most recently in the past couple of weeks. I've been thinking "this is how it will be, and it will be OK" and "No amount of me getting angry is helping the situation, nor will my time come before it's supposed too, so I might as well just work with what I've got". It's a tough stage, but it's easier than Depression, believe me.

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, but it does to me.

2 comments:

Angel said...

Laurel, I'm so there with you in the 5 stages of grief with my infertility then of course with the miscarriage :(

Cara said...

Hugs.