A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blank

I had a phone appointment with my Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE) today. I call him Dr. F, because when I say his last name (Feigenbaum), people shake their heads and say "Whaaa??", so Dr. F is his name. The last time I talked to him was weeks ago when we decided to try our first cycle on Clomid at 150mg 3 times a day. I took my BBT and did the OPKs, and took the blood test on CD 23 like a good girl trying to get knocked up. But alas, I didn't ovulate. I called to see where I should go from here, and a phone appt was set up for today at 10am.

So the doctor calls, and says "I see your blood test results, 0.3. I think it's time to go onto the 'big guns'". Big guns? What does that mean? "Well you have three options"...so here they are!

Door #1 - Keep trying on our own while trying to lose more weight in the hopes that I will spontaneously ovulate on my own. In addition to doing this, I would continue to take the Metformin every day.

Door #2 - There is a slightly different medication from Clomid, called Femara. Apparently, it is usually given to women with breast cancer and the hormonal effects have made women ovulate and get pregnant. The success rates with Femara are less than those with Clomid.

Door #3 - Injectable medications. This is the "big guns" the RE was talking about. I would take shots (not sure how many a day) daily for 5-6 weeks. I would be going into the RE's office for an ultrasound twice a week to monitor my follicular growth. The cost is considerably more than the oral medications and I'm not a fan of needles. However, this would give us a 50/50 shot of getting pregnant and I was told there is a 1 in 3 month shot of becoming pregnant. I'm going to share a personal bit of information, just because I need to wrap my mind around this: Even with our insurance, the injectable medication itself is $2500-$3000 for a 5-6 week cycle. Yowza. I'm having trouble with the amount in my brain. The injectables are also the kind that have a higher probability of multiple births (as in twins, triplets, etc.)

Needless to say, Jake and I have some talking to do. I know what I'm willing to put myself through and how far I'm willing to go to have a baby. I just wish God would throw me a bone in all this. We're working so hard and I don't know how we'll get through this, but I have faith we will.

No comments: