A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

LoLo's Homemade Garlic Bread

I've never posted a recipe of my own before, and frankly, I'm nervous. I only post recipes that I find worth sharing, and I've never tried something on my own just to see how it goes. I'm not that courageous when it comes to cooking - mainly because I don't want to be one of those people on Food Network's Worst Cooks in America that gets to say "I put my husband in the ER from my cooking". Yeah...not for me, thanks.

But a friend of mine once invited me over for an early dinner and ever since, I've been making this garlic bread. I was raised with the "bake and serve" Colombo garlic bread which is tasty, don't get me wrong. But this is just divine for me and I usually end up eating more of the bread than what the main course is. It's easy and it's done in about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!

LoLo's Homemade Garlic Bread
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes, TOTAL: 20 minutes
(serves 4-6)

1 Loaf Pugliese Bread (Pugliese is an Italian bread that is crunchy on the outside and semi-soft on the inside - feel free to use whatever bread you'd like)

6tbsp stick butter softened (NOT MELTED)

2tsp minced garlic

Ground black pepper

Ground white pepper

Onion powder

Shredded parmesan cheese (I use fresh shredded from the deli, but you can use what you want)


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, Farenheit

2. If using Pugliese bread, cut off the ends and cut the middle section into threes. Once you have sliced "rounds" of the bread, cut those in half so you have the bottoms and tops. Arrange on a baking sheet (I use a cookie sheet)

3. Soften butter and add minced garlic. Mix together. Spread butter/garlic mix evenly over the "insides" of the bread sections.

4. Sprinkle onion powder very lightly onto freshly spread butter. Follow with a sprinkle of black pepper (use a little more black pepper than onion powder) and then white pepper.

5. Sprinkle shredded cheese onto bread. I usually make sure the cheese fully covers the top with a little extra for some extra cheese (I mean, really - who doesn't like (LOVE) extra cheese?)

6. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes (10 minutes will just melt the cheese, but 15 minutes will make the cheese semi-golden brown - so 12 minutes might be a happy medium)

7. Take out and enjoy! Careful, the cheese might take a couple of minutes to cool down enough to eat.

It's that easy! Let me know what you think if you try it! :)

No comments: