A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Friday, March 16, 2012

7 years ago...

It was March 16, 2005. I was meeting up with some friends to have a late night bite at Carrow's and go to play some pool. En route to the restaurant, I got a call from a familiar number. It was a guy I hadn't really talked too since our first date two weeks prior. A lot of stuff had happened in that two weeks and I, admittedly, was avoiding him. After coming to the realization that he was genuine and just wanted to talk to me, I answered my phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Laurel? It's Jake."

"Hi! How've you been?"

"I've been alright, how are you?"

"I've had better days. What are you doing right now?"

"I'm at home watching a movie. What are you up to?"

"I'm meeting some friends at Carrows and then we're going to play some pool. You wanna join us?"

"Sure, let me put my shoes on and I'll meet you there."

"OK, see you there!"

A few minutes later, I pulled into the parking lot and walked in. My friends were sitting at a booth within a direct line of sight of the front door. I walked over, greeted them, and let them know Jake would be joining us. About half of them had met him already, so they knew him a little bit. I sat down and started talking. A few minutes later, I looked up and saw him walk through the door. It was the day before St. Patrick's Day, so he had a Guiness baseball hat on with a black button-up shirt and jeans. Something came over me and I just walked up to him and gave him a HUGE hug. The hug must have lasted a full minute. We walked over to the table and had our late meal and headed over to the pool hall. It was all flirting and me apologizing for being MIA for the previous weeks. I had explained that I was going through some personal stuff and didn't want him to get mixed up in it. His understanding and the way he looked me straight in the eye while telling me that he missed talking to me and that he just wants to spend some time with me really hit me hard.

After everyone else drove away to their respective destinations, Jake and I stayed and talked in the parking lot for the next couple of hours. After that day, we talked or saw each other every day.

7 years later, we've been through a lot. We've been through health issues and broken bones. We've been through deaths in the family and the birth of our daughter. We've been through starting a business and infertility. Through all of it, he still looks me in the eye like no one else ever has. He still holds my hand when I'm sad or afraid and rubs my back when I can't sleep. He stayed awake for 48 hours straight while I was in labor and after Scarlett was born. But most of all, he's my best friend...all because of one phone call.

I love you, Jake. Thanks for calling!

No comments: