A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Elections

In case you're wondering, no this post isn't about our elections last week and my disappointment in them (Looooooong story, will tell any inquiring minds later). This post is about choices, because that's essentially what elections are - choices we make. We make these choices that will affect our lives, even if for one moment.

During pregnancy, there are tons of choices you must make...and they ALL seemingly affect your child. Will you breastfeed or bottle feed? Will you choose an epidural, or go au natural? Will you choose cloth diapers or disposable ones? Some of these choices, or ELECTIONS are harder to choose than others. One person's choices isn't exactly the same as someone else's.

Some of the most important choices I have made during my pregnancy is in regards to genetic testing. There is an entire gamut of tests that I could choose from. I could do blood panel screenings, ultrasounds, and all the way up to amniocentesis, and CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling). I was able to choose any test I was comfortable with taking.

It was expressed to me that some might not have understood why I had the NT scan. An NT scan is called Nuchal Translusency scan. It's a detailed ultrasound where they measure this little pad of fluid on the back of the baby's neck. Every fetus has it. The thicker the pad (or more fluid), the higher the chance the baby will have of having Down Syndrome along with some other genetic abnormalities. The fluid in the pad puts pressure on the developing spine, thus preventing crucial brain development and function (at least that's what I was told by the tech). If the test indicates that there might be a higher risk of Down Syndrome, an Amniocentesis would've been recommended along with further testing. I could've chosen to skip the ultrasound and gone straight to the Amnio, but I CHOSE or ELECTED to do the blood panel screening and NT scan. I wanted to get tested to make sure the baby was OK, but I also wanted to do the least invasive tests available. So I had the blood test and the NT scan. Of course if the doctor had told me further testing was recommended, I would've done the Amnio. But being that I am not a fan of needles and their general reason for existing, I decided to not do that. As it turns out, our baby is fine and the tests I ELECTED to have were the right choice for us. It wasn't because I am considered "high risk" which I am not at this point. The doctor and I made conscious decisions together for the best benefit of Jake and my child.

Oh, and the NT scans became a normal choice in genetic testing in 1995-1996.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are making the choices that are right for you.