A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Texas Trip

So, I know it's been about 3 weeks since Jake and my trip to Texas, and there was an entire memory stick of pictures of Rick and Maria's managerie. They have 6 dogs, 4 cats, and 2 birds. Let me see if I have all this down:

Dogs: 1.) Dixie - an American Eskimo 2.) Piper - a miniature Schnauzer 3.) Flea - a Cairn Terrier 4.) Roxanne - a yellow lab 5.) Elphaba - a Doberman/something else mix 6.) Nessa - A possible pitbull/something else mix

Cats: 1.) Abby - a calico 2.) Phoebe - a calico 3.) Spike - a tuxedo cat 4.) Max - a tuxedo cat (and Spike's brother)

Birds: Paige and Prudence - cockatiels

Whew...can't believe I remember all that.
Anyways...so we got to Texas and Maria's brother Charlie picked us up and drove us to Maria's work. From there we went to the house and met Rick at the SaltGrass Steakhouse where he stood outside waiting for us. He was quite surprised to see us. It was warm and humid, and definitely not weather I'm used too, but after a couple of days, it grows on you and doesn't bother you anymore.

I learned about fire ants and wolf spiders (yes, they have those there) and saw some of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen. I'm definitely jealous. We went to the Federal Bureau of Engraving and Printing (where they make paper money), although they didn't let us take cameras inside for security purposes. I saw buffalo on a farm, and Texas Motor Speedway (see picture below). We also went to the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards which is the biggest cattle auction house/tradepost in the USA. There, I got to see my first Long Horn Cattle (see picture below). They're HUGE!!! I'm not kidding.

We also got to go to the PGA Tour Invitational at Colonial Golf Club in Fort Worth. I got to see Phil Mickelson (the #2 golf player in the world behind Tiger Woods). Tiger Woods didn't couldn't make it to the invitational. It was interesting to see professional golfers "do their thing" and see the following that they have. I also got my very first experience at Bass Big Pro Shops "Outdoor World". All I can say is...wow...it's a redneck Walmart (hahahahaha)

OK, so I'm posting a couple of pictures of our trip, and when I get the other memory stick, I'll post those too. Enjoy!



Texas Motor Speedway


Long Horn Cattle at the Historic Stockyards



Laurel and Flea



Miss Piper


1 comment:

Michelle said...

The longhorns at the Stockyard are fun to watch! :)

Sounds like you had fun!