A CALIFORNIA GIRL MOVING TO A TEXAS WORLD!

Monday, March 15, 2010

Fleas!

It's a gnat! It's a mosquito...no! It's FLEAS!!!

That's right...our kitties have their first bout with the bloodsucking bastards. It all started Saturday night. Jake and I were cuddling with MJ on our bed and when he got up, I noticed little flaky black spots on the bedspread. I looked closer and they were kind of different sizes. I said "I don't think this is good" and Jake told me not to worry about it, so I didn't. The next thing I know, I feel something crawling on my arm. I caught it and looked at it and it was a flea. Craptastic.

Jake and I made a trek to Petsmart and got Frontline (it was a little cheaper than Advantage) and flea-killing powder for the floor and flea-killing spray for the furniture. Total? $104. That's right. These pesky little mongrels come with a hefty bill. But honestly, it didn't matter much. All we cared about what getting home and getting our furbabies back to normal. Jake wanted to wait until Sunday to do any treatments, but I made an executive decision to at least treat the cats. So we distracted them with treats (they were in heaven) while we squirted the medicine onto their skin. Shortly before this, I checked MJ and sure enough, he had 3 fleas on his neck...poor boy.

Yesterday we fully cleaned our house complete with dusting the carpets, spritzing the furniture and pillows in addition to the loads of laundry to get rid of whatever make lurk in our bedding ((shudder)).

So now as far as we can tell our kitties are flea-free and happy as little clams in their now-sterile house.

No comments: